Search This Blog

Monday, December 20, 2010

Possible Topics for this Blog

Any successful writer must possess two qualities, and they’ve got to carry these traits on them at all times like a locator bracelet on Lindsay Lohan’s ankle. They are a topical focus and a distinct narrative voice. I think I’ve started homing in on the former (running in general) and don’t have a trace of the latter. However, I’m convinced the best way to fix both of these deficiencies is just to start writing, and let them evolve and shape themselves.

I’ve chosen running as my topical focus because it’s an enormous part of my life, and rife with areas of focus. I’ll probably cross a lot of boundaries, but I see the related subtopics split this way:
  • Psychology
  • Training & Nutrition
  • Science
  • Inspiration
  • Mental Toughness
  • Life Balance
  • Shoes & Gear

The best blogs are the ones that specialize in one, maybe two of these subjects. To put it in running terms, why would you go to a sprinter to teach you how to run a marathon? To put it in my own ‘dumb sense of humor’ terms, why would you ask Snookie to solve climate change?

As for my writing voice, who knows how that will develop. I expect it to be some combination of my normal speaking tone, Sportscenter catchphrases, and Calvin & Hobbes dialogue; but that's only a guess.

I have no idea where I have the most to contribute, so initially, I’ll probably discuss all of the subtopics. I want to talk about my running career, my training experience & tips, the obstacles I've overcome, my running shoes, running trails, and will probably eulogize the toenails I’ve lost. In time, I hope I have enough self-awareness to realize what I’m good at, and where I can focus to writing interesting enough prose that will help spread the joy of running.

No comments:

Post a Comment