Search This Blog

Saturday, May 28, 2011

My Last Few Runs & The Bolder Boulder

Wednesday


9 miles in the morning around town, then 3 miles up & down Mt. Sanitas in the afternoon. The mountain run was phenomenal - tough climb uphill for some good scenery over the city of Boulder, then bombed it on the way down.


Thursday


I went out to the Boulder Reservoir for the first time. 10 mostly flat miles on a cool but sunny morning.


Friday


I wanted to take it easy, but still wanted to get some trail work in, so I headed up to Bear Peak Trail. 5 miles took me about 65 minutes, but considering all was above 6000' and included 1200' of climbing, and I felt it was a good morning effort.



Saturday

I'd been having a lot of 'long-run anxiety' recently. It had been almost three weeks since my last long run: the Bear Mountain 50k. With the White River 50 mile looming about 9 weeks away now, I need to start planning for my last few big runs. Ideally, I'll get in 2 more 30 milers before the race, which means probably at least 3 or 4 more 20 milers. Factor in the 3 week taper, and that doesn't leave a whole lot of time. Today was the best chance to get in a long day.

I started early (for me) at 6:45 and got in 5 miles easy, then did a workout with the Running Republic of Boulder (my new group). That totaled 5 more miles, including 2x5 minute intervals. Then I wrapped up with 7 miles easy around the Boulder Reservoir. 17 total on the day plus some speed work, the new Colorado altitude and 1200' of vertical I did yesterday; and I was satisfied with the work.



Next Week


Monday I'm running in the Bolder Boulder, one of the biggest races in the country. I'm not really 'racing' it, but just trying to enjoy the experience of running a race with about 60,000 participants. The finish is in the University of Colorado's football stadium, which should be an awesome atmosphere. It should be a great way to celebrate Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment