Search This Blog

Monday, July 25, 2011

White River 50 Race Strategy

In doing my game-planning for the White River 50 this weekend, I like to break down the course in mentally digestible, conquerable sections. This makes it easier to approach the distance, thinking about just doing a handful of six-to-eight mile runs instead of one 50 mile run. It’s like the baseball adage  ‘don’t try to hit a 5-run Homer’, meaning you have to string together singles and doubles to climb back from a grand deficit instead of biting it all off at once. That’s how I feel one must approach any race from a half-marathon on up.
An accomplished field ran in 2010; including eventual winner Tony Krupicka, Ultra-legend Scott Jurek, and 2011 Hardrock 100 runner-up Dakota Jones.


The White River 50 course lends itself well to segmentation, which makes my strategizing (and hopefully, my execution) easier.

course elevation changes
White River 50 Course Elevation Chart
Section 1: Miles 0 to 5.5 – The Warmup
This should be an easy, flat ‘warm-up’ stretch, run mostly on open road and wide trails before the course funnels into the single-track. This will be early enough that the weather should still feel balmy and cool, which will be nice. My idea for this beginning is that I can’t run it slow enough. I want to start at the back of the pack, and if I’m in middle-to-back of the field by the end of this stretch, I’ll be happy. I just want to get through this stretch with as little damage as possible.

Section 2: Miles 5.5 to 13.5 – The First Climb
Here comes the first, and largest, sustained climb of the race. I’ll go up more than 3000’ over the course of 8 miles, which will be a challenge for me as climbing is the weakest part of my running. I’ll gladly adopt a run/power-hike strategy here, and am hoping that my training in the altitude of Boulder will help me generate more power during my ascension.

Section 3: Miles 13.5 to 21 – Ridgeline Running
Next up is a reward for the climb: single-track, ridgeline trails with beautiful views (see below). This is where I hope to pick it up and gain some ground on the field, but still be mindful of saving as much in the tank as I can.


IMG_0114.JPG
A scene from mile 17

Section 4: Miles 21 to 27 – The First Descent
What goes up, must come down, and here is the longest descent of the race. I’ll go down single-trail switchbacks, peppered with some steep drops. Again, I look to make up some ground here as I feel I have very good downhill strength.

Section 5: Miles 27 to 36 – The Second Ascent
This section begins at the start/finish area, which will be a little challenging mentally. I’ll probably be hurting pretty well by this point, and the thought of leaving this sanctuary for another 23 miles will be tough. However, once I get going, the course starts climbing again. According to the official course description: “Don't worry, it's the last hill on the course and it will only last 8.5 miles [and go up 2500’].” Oh good.

The only redeeming part of this section is the view of Mt. Rainier, which the race photographers are sure to capitalize on to try and garner $40 from me later on.

Section 6: Miles 36 to 43 – The Last Descent
The beginning of the end. Again, I’ll hope to tap into my downhill speed.  I’ll be exposed to the sun and running on dirt roads here, but that will just motivate and enable me to get it over with quicker.

Section 7: Miles 43 to 50 – The Finish
I’ll pass through the last aid station at mile 43, then I’ll be able to smell the barn. If I have anything left in my legs, this is where it will come out. There aren’t any major ups or downs, and it’s mostly shady trail. Some parts are technical and have tough footing, but that may be a legitimate reason to ‘gear-down’ and regroup for the next stretch of runnable trail. If I have to crawl these last 7 miles, I’ll do it happily.

Macro Strategies

Nutrition – The best advice I’ve heard about ultra-running nutrition is that this is a ‘calorie deficit sport’, meaning while I will be burning about 600 to 700 calories an hour, my body can only absorb 250 to 300 calories an hour, creating a larger deficit with each hour. Thus, the best thing I can do on race day is eat early, even if I don’t feel I need it. This will keep me out of greater calorie debt later on. On top of that, I’ll take one or two electrolyte tablets an hour to make sure I’m absorbing my water, and be sure I stock up at each of the 7 aid stations before the finish.

Pacing – As I mentioned earlier, I want to start slow.  If I can average 9 to 10 minutes/mile on the flats, 8 to 9 minutes/mile on the downhills, and maybe 14 to 15 minutes/mile on the climbs, I’ll be happy.

Gear – Trying to go as light as possible, so all I will take with me on the trail will be my handheld water bottle, sun glasses, and MAYBE a hat. Anything else will just weigh me down.

Motivation - I have invested a LOT in preparation for this race. I’ve averaged 65 or 70 miles/week for most of 2011; I’ve moved to Colorado for the summer; and I’ve given it most of my mental energy and attention in my free time. When I’m at my lowest on race day, I have to remember that all of that was for a reason. That the fact that I could showed up to the start line of the race says a lot about myself, and crossing the finish line will say a lot more. There aren't a lot of people who do these races, and for good reason.

Most importantly, I get the luxury of reminding myself that this is my last ultra. That’s it, I’m done after this race. Thus, I might as well expend every last mite of energy I have, even if it makes me hate running for the rest of my life. So what? I’m not running again anyways. I tell myself this towards the end of every hard & long race I do, and I tell myself I really mean it every time, but this time, I really mean it. I’m done with Ultras.

No comments:

Post a Comment