Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sharpening My Axe

“Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”

- Abraham Lincoln


I'm starting a new phase of my running career and though my axe is still pretty dull, I'd say I'm learning how to work the grinder pretty well. Right now, my only goal is to hit high weekly volumes, and I'm adjusting to the requisite lifestyle and work load nicely. 2 weeks ago, I logged 80 miles (no rest days), and backed that up with 70 miles last week (one rest day). I felt pretty haggard after the first week, but my body is developing resiliency and becoming more accustomed to the daily burden of 10 to 15 miles.

My mental acceptance of this new lifestyle is the most important part. I go out every morning for my "AM 9" - a standard run of about 9 miles or 90 minutes. I've tried to make this as much a part of my morning routine as drinking coffee and watching Saved By The Bell on TBS. It's unavoidable; it's just what I do. As soon as I finish my morning run, I try to start focusing on my afternoon run (if I feel like I have extra miles in my legs). Everything else is just waiting and resting for my next workout.

I'm still a long way away from doing any chopping, I feel great about getting my axe ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment