Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Marathon Mental-Readiness Checklist

The countdown to my next big race, the Rock & Roll Arizona Marathon, is down to a scant 3 days. Sunday, I'll toe the line and chase down an elusive, and at times seemingly impossible, goal of qualifying for the Boston Marathon. This will only be my 3rd full marathon (if I finish - knock on wood), and my PR is a gaping 8 minutes slower than the 3:10 standard that is required for my age group. Earning the 'Qualifier' distinction is something I've respected since the day I started running competitively, and one I've chased since the day I finished my first half marathon and got the notion that perhaps I could achieve it. I've had a long and rocky pursuit, but I feel strongly that this Sunday harbors a successful terminus. 


All of our goals and aspirations are very personal and relative to our own abilities and ambitions. When I finished my first half marathon, I felt like I was on top of the world and my running pursuits were fulfilled. Soon enough, my eyes interests moved on to the marathon distance, then to ultras. At each step, crossing the finish line felt like the ultimate accomplishment, and gave me the honor of feeling like I'd arrived at some ostensibly insurmountable summit. Those are my greatest feats achieved, and i know to some they may seam unattainable, and to others, they are simply pedestrian. To the former group, you'd be surprised what you are capable of; and to the latter, can I run with you sometime?


For now, my 'ultimate goal' is to cover 26.2 miles in under 190 minutes. That's it. Nothing more complicated than that. To accomplish that, I have to believe I've prepared myself adequately. I have to convince myself that my tedious, grinding, and redundant efforts over the past several weeks have primed my body to run a 7:15 mile twenty-six times in a row. Given my professional background as a forensic accountant and naturally skeptical nature, I have to lay out the evidence even to win an argument with myself. So here goes:

  • Two and a half months ago, I ran 3:18 at the Niagara Falls International Marathon.
  • Going into that race, I didn't rest properly and focus much on it mentally, as I viewed it as just a training run in preparation for another race I had planned on doing in November (which I ultimately didn't run for other reasons). Additionally, I had stomach problems during the race that probably cost me about 4 minutes.
  • I've put in 12 weeks of excellent and problem-free training since then.
  • I've been training on difficult (read: hilly) courses and in adverse weather conditions. 
  • The weather should be perfect.
  • I have a clear goal and have actually put thought and consideration to my race strategy. 
  • I've run enough intervals and tempo sessions that I feel comfortable at the 7:00 pace.
  • I have a positive and confident attitude. 



To me, this is a convincing list. I should be compelled to believe that I'm ready and can do 3:10 no problem, but the last, and most important part of achieving my goal is still incomplete, and candidly, there's nothing I can do about it. I have to execute and endure the and physical pain and 
mental suffering requisite for my goal. 

Any goal that doesn't require this test of will and determination just isn't a goal worth having.

See you after the race on Sunday.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment